Leadership in a mixed coven:
1. High Priestess - Coordinates ritual leadership, counseling,
teaching, and administration duties, in company with the High
Priest. Chief representative of the Goddess energies at rituals.
Badge of office: crescent Moon crown or coronet of candles.
2. High Priest - See above. Chief representative of the God
energies at rituals. Badge of office: horned headdress or animal
3. Maiden - Understudy to the High Priestess, and substitutes for
her when necessary. Badge of office may be a simple silver
circlet or tiara.
4. Summoner - Understudy to the High Priest, who substitutes for
him when necessary. Main administrative deputy, passing out
information, collecting dues, letting people know when to meet and
what to bring, etc. Also called the "Man in Black," "Black Rod,"
or "Verdelet." Badge of office may be a blackthorn staff.
Leadership in an all-woman's coven:
One pattern: No hierarchy or titles at all: ritual leadership
rotates, other jobs are carried out by anyone capable and willing.
1. Maiden - Understudy to the Mother, and chief administrative
deputy (see Summoner's duties above)
2. Mother - Coordinates ritual leadership and administration,
guides coven projects and activities. She does not necessarily do
these jobs herself always, but has the responsibility to see that
they are apportioned fairly and done effectively.
3. Crone - Chief counselor to the Mother, and does a large share
of teaching and individual counseling. May perform divination on
questions of concern to the coven. Possibly a former "Mother" or
High Priestess, experienced and skilled in magick, herbalism, etc.
Leadship for both mixed and single-sex coven:
Council of Elders - A gathering of all the higher-rank initiates
in the coven. They may function as advisors to the coven leaders,
or may actually set policy, establish the budget etc. In the
latter case, coven leaders are essentially executives responsible
to the Elders.
Other possible officers in mixed or single-sex covens:
1. Scribe (secretary) - Keeps minutes of business meetings, handles
correspondence under the direction of coven leaders.
2. Pursewarden (treasurer) - collects dues, keeps accounts, makes
purchases, coordinates fund-raising projects.
3. Archivist (historian) - Keeps the coven Book of Shadows or "Witch Book"
up to date, keeps files of coven projects and activities, rituals. These
functions may be combined with the
4. Bard (music director) - Collects songs and chants, leads the coven in
them, provides musical accompaniment; collects ballads and legends,
preserves the old lore and coven history in original songs.
5. Watchman (sergeant-at-arms) - Assists in initiation rituals; in charge
of safety & security at meetings and rituals. Indoors, checks locks and
closes curtains; outdoors, finds safe places for rituals and posts
sentries to warn off strangers approaching. Sets wards and arranges other
magickal protection. Knows laws regarding freedom of religion and
assembly, trespass ordinances etc.
6. Mistress-of, Master-of- (resource persons and teachers) - Any
individual who has achieved great competency in a magickal skill may
earn this title. They serve as a resource for the coven, and teach
others. An initiate may choose to apprentice with any Mistress or
* Divinatory Arts (or sub-category, such as Tarot, Astrology, I
Ching, Lithomony, Dreamcraft, Scrying, Radiesthesia etc.)
* Herbalism (for healing, amulets/talismans, oils, incense)
* Healing Arts (including herbal healing, psychic healing, aromatherapy,
Bach remedies, polarity balancing, healing with stones, color therapy,
* Familiar Arts (magickal work with animals, totems, elementals,
* Talismanic Arts (designing & creating talismans & amulets)
* Ritual Toolcraft (designing & creating ritual tools)
* Runecraft (use of magickal alphabets)
* Necromancy (communication with, or evocation of, the dead)
* Psychic Skills (astral travel, telepathy, telempathy, clairvoyance,
clairaudience, telekinesis, teleportation)
* Incantation (Words of Power, charms, chants, mantras)
* Fascination (trancework, hypnosis)
This web site is dedicated to Wicca, Witchcraft, & Spiritual Matters and may not be suitable
for all individuals. For more information about this web site contact: firstname.lastname@example.org